A welcome change in wind direction and a new goal

Day 46
June 26
Grand Vallee to Griffon

Today we are facing another day of climbing with our expected elevation gain over 4000'.  But, the winds have changed and now we have a tail wind so the riding should take a lot less effort.  We leave the very peaceful and beautiful seaside after a breakfast of granola and shelf stable almond milk, oatmeal, and a bagel with hard boiled egg.  (I write this for Tom’s mom who is wondering what we are eating since we can’t carry much and don’t have a cooler.)   


Working on the blog



There is a hill right as we leave the campground.  After all the walking I did yesterday, I am determined to ride up no matter what.  I almost make it.  Oh, well, at least I resisted flagging down a passing pick up truck.  The weather is sunny and clear and the wind helps on all the climbs.  Sailing down some of these steep grades is nerve racking and I find myself thinking a lot about my brake pads.  

This hills just keep going!


I need a shorter term goal than “Let’s ride our bikes from home to Newfoundland!” So, I decide that we should stop at every microbrewery in Gaspé and try a beer.  There is a checklist for this helpfully provided by the Gaspé tourism board.  At  Rivière au Renard, we visit Frontibus Microbrasserie    .
  We so obviously look like cyclists in our high visibility jackets and unkempt hair styles that everyone asks us where we are from and where we are going.  Now we have passed 1500 miles and we get a universal response of amazement.  We meet a very cool couple from Montreal in the bar.  They had spent the day jumping off cliffs and sailing around in the wind I keep telling you about.  The guy ( his alias is Max Powers) is currently working in Labrador and has a lot of local knowledge about Newfoundland, so he gives us some good advice about where to find an amazing meal in St. John’s.  It turns out it’s a place Anthony Bourdain likes too.  I guess I had better amend our food budget so we can go there and eat some of the big scallops that the owner himself dives for and serves in his restaurant.  

This is what 12% grade looks like!


There are no grocery opportunities in the national park, so we pick up three days worth of food at the store and literally stuff it in our panniers.  I think Tom may have to carry some in his day pack too, but he makes it fit.  Even the beer.  We eat spaghetti with fresh grilled peppers and onions and asparagus and Italian sausage tonight.  We keep exclaiming about how good it is, but I think we are just starving by the time we eat it.  Although it looked lovely too,  I couldn’t take a picture because I was too busy eating.  

Tomorrow we go to Forillon National Park (https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/qc/forillon) and we will be camping at Bon Ami Campground right by the bluffs.  The weather is supposed to be clear for the next few days and we are hoping to do some hiking.  

Our campsite tonight is once again seaside. 


The lobster boats were working the coast as we packed our gear.



Our day's mapping and our highest elevation gain in one day to date! And the maximum speed is no joke either!   



Comments